Wednesday, July 29, 2009

Support Group

Today was the first of a new weekly support group for young women with breast cancer. There were 6 of us, ranging in age from 32 to 44. It was great to be face to face with other regular women who are going through the same thing, even if we're all at slightly different stages. I remember how worried I was during the waiting/worrying time before they stage the cancer and determine the treatment post-surgery. That's actually when I had made the call to get into a support group. It made me appreciate that having my treatment plan and knowing what the next few months entail is a good place to be.

It was great to meet someone who has recently completed treatment and looks great (hair and everything!)

I think this support group will be something good for each of us that was there today. I'm already looking forward to our meeting next week.

5 comments:

  1. Sounds like you've found a wonderful place to be -- a wide variety of stages of survivorship which is a great benefit to all. That you are looking forward to next week's meeting is a good thing -- isn't it wonderful to have something to look forward to?? :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I enjoyed your blog.
    I have been diagnosed with ovarian cancer.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am so happy that you joined a support group. I never did as it was quite a distance away from us. There is a support group for life after breast cancer which I have signed up for but so far I am presuming there is not enough people yet to get it going. It's a shame because we still have so many concerns even after chemo and radiation.
    I hope you have a wonderful long weekend Beth.
    Hugs :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's great! I just started going to a weekly one myself 3 weeks ago and I'm so glad I did. Mine has people at varying stages of the process too and I find it very helpful seeing what I could expect in the future while also helping those that started after me. I hope you continue to draw value and support from your group.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you for providing such a valuable information and thanks for sharing this matter.

    ReplyDelete